Can you make something you really enjoy doing as a HOBBY your CAREER PATH?
Let’s take photography. That can be fun. Who hasn’t experienced capturing the worlds best photo and feeling really good about it.
Hey, wouldn’t it be great if someone paid me to do what I like to do? But converting a hobby into a money making venture can be a potential rude awakening. Do you have the knowledge and capabilities today to begin the transition from your current career path?
An interesting article in STARTUP NATION addresses topics for converting your hobby into a business. http://www.startupnation.com/business-articles/1180/1/AT_Turning-Hobby-Into-Business.asp. Key concepts:
1) Focus on the Prize. Keep your focus and patience. The prize of doing what you love and generating an income over the long term must be high enough to develop and implement a plan over time.
2) Validate your Hobby can be a viable Business. Just because you can bake eggplant in 35 delicious and unique ways, does not mean there are enough people interested in your product and service. Investigate. Use Google Search, Ebay, Craigslist. Do you see any competition? No competition, means you will have a nice long road ahead to create a market for your hobby.
3) Evaluate Yourself Realistically. Are you skilled enough at this hobby that other people actually will pay you for your service or knowledge, or do you just enjoy the heck out of it? Do you have the commitment and disciple to fully pursue this venture when it starts to feel like a job instead of fun?
4) Is there enough Revenue potential? Similar to #2, but we are expanding from general interest in the marketplace to specifically defining the areas of Revenue you can realistically obtain? Going back to the Eggplant recipe example, you may live in a community who is in love with eggplant, but there is a natural limit to how many customers will buy your recipes or packaged meals.
5) Figure out how to stand out…..It is not enough to be as good as the competition, you need something extra. What is that something extra that will cause customers to move their business to you?
Action: Make a list of your hobbies and select the top 3 you enjoy the most. Check out the competition on the internet. Do you see any? As you evaluate, don’t stop your day job or pursuit of jobs to keep your finances afloat.
Quote of the Day: “Instead of giving myself reasons why I can’t, I give myself reasons why I can.” Author Unknown
The web address for graur razvan ionut’s portfolio is: http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=987