One of the most critical skills you will ever attain, are the ones that control the way you think. Is there a correlation to what you think and how you perform?
YES The mind is so strong that you can take hold of thoughts that can induce signs of illness.
John Maxwell, a well established leadership expert and author of many books, released a book in 2011 titled “How Successful People Think”. If you want to become an expert golfer, you need to think like one. If you wish to lose weight, you need to think like someone who weighs much less than you do today. You GET TO think like the person you wish to become.
I selected my Top 10 Ways Successful People think from John Maxwell, and they all have a common theme. It all starts upstairs in the mind.
I have added some quick translations in ().
- Get over negative self talk. Winners think in terms of “I will” and “I can”
(Negative thoughts = Negative results…”as you think so shall you be”)
- Thinking is a discipline. If you want to be better at it, you’ve got to work at it.
(Positive Thinking Practice makes perfect…you mind is like a muscle..keep working it!!!)
- Figure out where you need to focus your energy, and then use the 80/20 rule
(Prioritize Your Limited Time….80% of tasks can be ignored with minimal implications)
- Smart thinkers expose themselves to different ideas and types of people
(Meet new people and uncover new ideas from your discussions – it’s amazing what you can learn just listening)
- It’s one thing to have an idea, another to follow through
(An idea is like a seed…following through on it is like watering the seed…action is required)
- Smart people collaborate with other smart people
(You will never succeed alone. Seek mentors, partners, supporters)
- To think differently, do different things
(To appreciate others’ ideas, you need to value other ideas)
- Have an agenda — for the day, and when you meet with people
(When you meet people, make it count, you need to collaborate with people to succeed)
- Creative people are dedicated to ideas
(ideas lead to creating value….we need to create value to be successful)
- Naturally optimistic people find it hard to be realistic thinkers
(Thinking out of the box still requires doing your homework)
ACTION: Pick one of the 10 recommendations and LIVE IT for the next 24 hours. What changed for you? Start the habits today towards positive thinking. If you found success, pick a 2nd recommendation to follow for the next day…you are on the road to a brand new perspective of yourself and where you take your career and life.
Quote of the Day: “You are the masterpiece of your own life; you are the Michelangelo of your experience. The David that you are sculpting is you. And you do it with your thoughts.”— Dr. Joe Vitale: Motivational author and speaker